Sunday, January 31, 2021

Tie One On

Although I grew up with plaid dresses-particularly dark ones that didn't show dirt-many boys' shirts were also plaids. When I'm thrift shopping, I usually go straight to the men and boys section because plaids are plentiful on those racks.

I made a small quilt top that's still not quite done (or is it?) using plaids and solids in a classic Bowtie pattern but assembled in a more contemporary manner than block-to-block. 

My sis Lili and I c.1960 in our matching plaid dresses.



The Bowtie quilt top only measures 40 by 50 something inches at this point and I can't decide whether to enlarge it or leave as is and start quilting.


Bows in Rows is its working title.


Upon re-examining the quilt top closely, I realized I'd sewn the Bowtie blocks in an unconventional manner. The Bow Ties were sewn as Four Patches and then the little center square-on-point appliqued over the center intersection. Might seem lazy at first since that method avoids dealing with Y-seams but really it was all about getting the center square's stripes or plaid placed in an exact relation to the block. 




Grey thread in a lightweight #60 works really well for many types of applique.


I wonder if you can be lazy and perfectionistic at the same time?


Am sure I got the idea of a well-placed center for the Bow Tie block from an antique block I own. 


             Bow Tie quilt block c.1910


Love the rickrack fabric and wish someone would reprint it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plaids in String Quilts-the Craftsy Project

Way back in 2012, Craftsy asked me to make a scrap quilt video. It sounded like a lot of fun. In early December, the three-person Craftsy cr...